Friday, January 18, 2013

faux taxidermy fun


We've been in the house for over a year, but we still have a lot of sad bare walls. I want to remedy this as soon as possible, but I'm always scared to buy something and make a decision about "art"...so I endlessly look and never purchase. But we need fun and pretty things to look at in our home. That's why when I was in Marda Loop yesterday and saw some great faux taxidermy busts at Wild About Flowers I got very excited! ...but as usual didn't buy. Instead I decided to look around and see what else is out there. Look what I found! I am not a fan of actual taxidermy, but the resin and papier-mache versions are fun and whimsical. What do you think?



West Elm's papier-mache animal sculpture; $102.41. 
Made in Haiti as part of a Caribbean Craft, a project that works to create jobs for Haitian artisans.




1, 2, 3, 5: 

Mahzer & Vee (Etsy) - Resin animals - Prices range from $40 for a small bust to $110 for a large one. They will make the animals in any colour you would like, or you can just go for flat white. 

6: 

Anthropologie - Smiling Hippo Bust - Papier-mache; $198

4, 7: 

White Faux Taxidermy - Resin animals - Prices range from $30 for a miniature to $170 for more ornate, large busts. 

I think my favourite might be the gold bear, but I can't decide! We will probably end up with white, because it "matches" everything...that is if we can make a decision at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment